Monday, November 26, 2007

Gunung Suku & Grandpa

I had a tired weekend. Last Saturday I joined a group of uncles and aunty for a hike at Gunung Suku in Cameron Highlands. Left KL at 4:30am for Ipoh and had dim sum in Foh San Restaurant before meeting up with the rest of the participants. Enter into a dry forest land from foothill which is 800m above sea level. Need to hike 1,000m by foot up to summit. The trail was very challenging. It challenged my stamina, mentality and patience. Kept walking all the way up and hardly had flat land for me to stop to rest.



It’s nice to hike here because the air was fresh and cooling. The air is getting thinner and cooler when I walked a few meters up. Stopped at the water point and tasted the fresh water from the stream. The water was so cold as though it was taken from fridge. Carry on my journey till I reach fairytale forest. Breathing in the misty cold air and rubbing my hands against the wet green mosses throughout the journey. The purpose is to clean up both dirty hands.



There are plenty of steep slopes and some exposed roots needs to be climbed over and/or passed underneath. All these climbing over and under really challenged my physical endurance which eventually leaves me with muscles ache till now. My last trip to Gunung Irau sometime in August of this year which was in Cameron Highlands too has left me with muscles ache for 4 days.






This hiking journey took me 2.5 hours to reach summit. As and when I set my foot at summit I was quite disappointed. The scenery view from Gunung Suku doesn’t attract me compared to the view from Gunung Irau and it has limited space to accommodate 20 people. Not much shelter such as big or medium trees for shade. When the sunshine I will immediately hide myself under the bushes. The weather at summit was hot and totally out of my expectation. Spent about an hour here having a cup of hot Nescafe and a piece of malaiko which I packed from Foh San Restaurant for lunch.



Hiking down took me about 2 hours to reach foothill. After completion of this hiking expedition I had myself freshen up at the icy cool water from a mini waterfall nearby Gunung Suku foothill. When everyone is ready to make a move, we headed for a nice dinner in Green Ocean Restaurant in Menglembu, Ipoh. Had poon choy and 4 other side dishes which cost us RM200nett. I think the price is consider reasonable.




On my way back to KL, I stop by Bidor to visit Grandpa. Hehe…he was watching Astro while waiting for my visit. Luckily I called him in advance during dinner so that he doesn’t sleep early. Grandpa was contented with a big smile on his face when he saw me. I felt delightful after visited Grandpa and my friends were so kind to drive me in to Taman Civil.



Cheers!!!
Seow Lai

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow !!! what a trip you went !! Look very interesting and enjoyable trip.

kaufu

Jacqueline said...

Interesting... but im sure this is super tiring... have u try gunung KK?

Anonymous said...

i don't really enjoy this trip. maybe its the group companion and the trail i went through here is similar to gunung irau + the view from suku peak was very disappointing.

haha...yes! its super tiring n i slept all the way back to kl

~seow lai~